Adeptly Handle Governmental Legal Matters
Are you up to speed on local government law? Examine the disputes and challenges municipalities are currently facing, and let our experienced faculty share their strategies and techniques for dealing with them. Get the information you need to prevent and resolve municipal problems – register today!
- Stay up to date on newly developing cases and legal issues in government law.
- Learn effective strategies local governments can use to weather the economic downturn and minimize public finance liability.
- Avoid employment disputes: Know what personnel policies municipalities should and shouldn't have.
- When do open meeting laws apply? Find out what situations and email communications constitute a public meeting.
- Ensure compliance with public records access and retention laws.
- Examine the ethical considerations involved in public disclosure of government actions.
WEATHERING THE FINANCIAL CRISIS
9:00 - 10:00, Frank E. Gilkison
- Tax Caps
- What Services Can be Provided
OPEN MEETING LAWS
10:15 - 11:15, Sue A. Beesley
- Overview of the Law and to Whom it Applies
- Required Content of Meeting Notices
- Exceptions to the Rule
- Email Communications
PUBLIC RECORDS ISSUES
11:15 - 12:15, Sue A. Beesley
- The Public's Right to Access Records – and Exceptions to the Rule
- The Law Regarding Retention, Maintenance and Disposing of Public Records
- Issues With Electronic Records Retention
- Developing a Public Records Policy
1:15 - 2:15, Michael A. Biberstine
- Privileged vs. Public Communications
- Conflicts of Interest
- Whistle Blowing: Duty to Report?
- Representing Clients After Public Service
HUMAN RESOURCES ISSUES
2:15 - 3:15, Mark R. Waterfill
- New Developments in Employment Law: How a new President and Congress Will Impact Your Workplace
- Conducting Successful Employee Investigations
- Protecting Your Employees' Privacy Rights
- Improving Your Personnel Policies
3:30 - 4:30, Frank E. Gilkison
- Why Do It?
- What is Required to Succeed
- Pitfalls for the Municipality