Effectively Handle Advanced Human Resources Issues
Are you prepared to handle complicated employment issues in a time of rapidly changing labor laws? This course will keep you up-to-speed on current HR issues people are counting on you to have the legal answers for. Don´t miss this chance to discuss interpretations and tactics with your esteemed colleagues and experienced faculty. Register today!
- Learn how the ADA amendments are being applied and what new guidelines are emerging for employers.
- Avoid legal pitfalls during layoffs and workforce reductions with practical tips from experienced practitioners.
- Examine case law to glean guidance for employers on ensuring age waivers and releases include the information necessary to be OWBPA compliant.
- Analyze significant court decisions interpreting employer liability for mishandled benefits under ERISA.
- Gain Title VII compliance strategies to guard against harassment and discrimination claims.
- Learn how to calculate damages available under Title VII.
- Get proven techniques for obtaining records from the EEOC.
- Review the new FMLA regulations and their interplay with state law.
- Ensure SEC compliance and shareholder/board approval by structuring solid executive compensation agreements that everyone can agree to.
ADA Amendments´ Effect on Employers
9:00 - 10:00, Craig M. Brooks
- Overview of ADA Amendments and How They are Being Applied
- New Guidelines Emerging for Employers
- The Courts´ Treatment of Past Precedent in Light of the Amendments
Layoffs, Furloughs and Reductions: Legal Landmines for the Unaware
10:15 - 11:15, Craig M. Brooks
- Legal Requirements of WARN
- Pitfalls in Employee Benefits and Severance Packages
- The OWBPA and Age Waivers/Releases in Workforce Reductions
- Requirements of the Older Workers´ Benefit Protection Act (OWBPA)
- Is Your Waiver and Release Language Suit-Proof?
- Case Studies: Practical Strategies for Compliance
11:15 - 12:15, Robert M. Linn
- Overview of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA)
- Kennedy v. DuPont Savings Plan Administrator – The Role of Plan Documents in Interpreting Rights to Benefits
- Suing Plan Administrators for Breach of Fiduciary Duty – Section 502(a)(2)
Title VII: Compliance, Damages and E-Discovery
1:15 - 2:15, Elly Heller-Toig
- Title VII and EEOC Overview
- Compliance Strategies: Documentation and Investigation Procedures
- Court Interpretation of Title VII
- Types of Damages Available Under Title VII and How to Calculate Them
- Remedy Differences Between Title VII and State Law
- E-Discovery Issues
- What Records are Discoverable?
- Can the FOIA be Used to Obtain Records From the EEOC?
Understanding Employee Leaves
2:30 - 3:30, Elly Heller-Toig
- Legal Aspects of Developing and Administering Company Leaves, Vacation Programs, and Other Paid-Time-Off Programs
- Increased Employer Options Under the New FMLA Regulations
- The Interplay of the FMLA and State Law
Executive Compensation Issues
3:30 - 4:30, Jonathan P. Clunies
- New Laws and Emerging Trends Affecting Executive Compensation
- Best Practices in Structuring Compensation Agreements in the Current Business Climate
- An In-Depth Look at the Essential Components of the Agreement